The curried squash with pepper shrimp soup recipe is fall soup favourite from the HOSF 9445 healthy culinary arts I class at George Brown College.
Yield: 4 servings
200g white onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
30g finely minced ginger
500g butternut squash, peeled, seeded, diced
1 granny smith apple, diced
1 can coconut milk low fat (light)
juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground nutmeg
Coarse sea salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tbsp neutral oil, such as canola
8 shrimp, peeled, deveined
Chile pepper falkes to taste
1/4 bunch cilantro leaves
1. In a stainless steel pot, sweat onion and celery in coconut oil over low heat until tender.
2. Add the garlic and ginger, curry powder, and continue to sweat until fragrant, 2min.
3. Add the squash and apple, and stir to coat. Add the coconut milk and enough water or stock to cover, bring to the simmer and cook until squash is tender, approximately 20 minutes.
4. Remove soup from the stove and transfer carefully to blender and puree at low speed, or puree with an immersion blender.
5. Transfer back to stainless steel pot, add lemon juice and spices, adjust seasoning. Keep warm.
6. Just before serving, heat canola oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add shrimp and chile pepper flakes. Sauté until shrimp is cooked, approximately 3 minutes.
7. Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with shrimps and cilantro.