Chef. Beverley Rothlisberger
To celebrate the peak of tomato season, we’re bringing you a delicious and relatively simple recipe that incorporates fresh, seasonable vegetables.
This recipe for insalata panzanella comes from Chef Beverley Rothlisberger of George Brown College’s continuing education Mediterranean cooking program.
- 6 cups day-old white bread, preferably focaccia
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 medium cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 to 10 basil leaves, torn
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Tear the bread into bite-size pieces.
- Lightly salt the cherry tomatoes, place in bowl and set aside for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Whisk together the olive oil and red wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine the bread with the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, basil, and garlic. Toss to mix and then add the dressing and toss to combine. Let the salad soak for at least 30 minutes before serving.