Eun Mee Park wins $1,000 and the chance to have her recipe on a local hospital or long-term care centre menu
On Feb. 25, Eun Mee Park, a second-year culinary management student, took first place in the George Brown College chef school SoLocal Organic Tofu cooking competition.
Park was one of four students who were shortlisted to take part in the competition, and using Sol Cuisine’s Organic Artisan Tofu, Park won the top prize of $1,000 and a chance to have her recipe for “Asian-style Crispy Tofu Pizza” featured on the menu at a local hospital or long-term care centre this year.
“Winning this competition is such a tremendous accomplishment for me,” said Park in a press release. “It was such a great challenge to learn to work with the tofu in an innovative and interesting way, to develop an original recipe that would take it one step further.”
SoLocal Asian-Style Crispy Tofu Pizza Recipie
1lb (400g) Sol Cuisine organic firm tofu, sliced
500g Beef Tips, sliced or diced
100g Bok Choy, finely diced
100g Cabbage, finely diced
100g Onion, finely diced
100g King Oyster Mushrooms, finely diced
½ Cup (100g) Soy Sauce
¼ Cup (50g) Sesame Oil
½ Cup (100g) Honey
20g Ginger, grated
3 Garlic Cloves, grated
¾ Cup (200g) Tomato Paste
1¾ Cups (200g) Breadcrumbs
2 Eggs, whisked
¾ Cup (100g) Flour
2⅓ Cups (500g) Olive and Canola Oil, combined
1¾ Cups (200g) Mozzarella Cheese, grated
Pepper and Salt, to taste
Baby Greens, for garnish
- Thinly slice beef tips and marinate with soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic, onion, sesame oil, pepper and salt. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a small pan, sweat onion and garlic; add tomato paste and season to taste.
- Remove tofu from package; drain excess water, slice into thick squares and season with salt and pepper. Dredge tofu in flour, egg wash and breadcrumbs.
- In a medium pan, fry beef tips with onion, mushrooms, bok choy and cabbage.
- Heat olive and canola oil to 180° F and deep fry tofu until crispy, drain well so that no oil remains.
- Spread tomato paste mixture on crispy tofu slices, add beef and vegetables and top with grated cheese. Broil for three minutes in a preheated oven, just to melt cheese.
- Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and serve on a bed of baby greens. Serves four.