Looking for info on sex? The CAC is on top of it

The community action centre is helping to promote safer sex

The community action centre is helping to promote safer sex Photo: Brittany Barber/The Dialog

The community action centre is helping to promote safer sex
Photo: Brittany Barber/The Dialog

At George Brown College (GBC), there are services where sexually active students can go for guidance, support, and different types of contraception.

“Its sex! It’s everywhere. Why not be safe about it?” said Coty Zachariah, campaigns staff member who helped build the community action centre (CAC).

The CAC is located at St. James in room 165B, and Casa Loma in room E130, where students are able to visit anonymously if they wish.

“The biggest thing we offer to students is information. We don’t shame people,” said Zachariah.

The information is not only about safe sex, but also about how your body works, where you can be tested, and how to deal with situations such as condoms breaking.

The CAC carries different types of pamphlets that will answer any questions you may have when it comes to sex.

There is a plethora of free condoms, lubes, dental dams and further information regarding safe sex, as safe sex is encouraged to help prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and unwanted pregnancies.  In the CAC students will also be able to find pamphlets that will answer any questions you may have about sex.

“The CAC will be looking into workshops revolving around safe sex,” according to Siva Sivarajah, community action centre assistant, but until then GBC will continue to collaborate with other colleges and universities to attend their sex workshops.

The CAC has been designed as a comfortable place for students, where they can visit judgment-free and with complete confidentiality; it is also an alternative safe place to hang out.

GBC’s insurance—Green Shield can also help students financially when it comes to oral contraceptives as it covers 90 per cent of women’s contraceptive costs per refill, leaving the payee with a small 10 per cent cost.

Educating yourself on sexual health will be beneficial to you and any of your partners in the long run. Each time you sleep with someone, you’re also sleeping with everyone they have slept with.

Share

Looking for info on sex? The CAC is on top of it